Monday, June 20, 2005

Memphis in the meantime..........

Back home as a Anglo-Memphian, I was starting to recognize the blemishes within the brilliance of the local music scene. It appeared the musical groove had lost it's luster and was stuck in the mud. Many of its key players were jumping ship like the sinking of the Titanic. I scanned the surface and noticed the musicians who were staying appeared to be settling for under achievement. Why hang around here and play the honky-tonks? After all, the entire world now knew about the local music scene. But wait, the chief mechanism for advancement was powered by the local record company. Hmmm...Got Pop records? It would be easy to take pot-shots at the flaws of individuals who were in the drivers seat at Stax. But why waste the time. I chose to strap-on my seat belt and jump aboard the Atlantic ride whereas I was just beginning to spread my wings. Don't get me wrong, I love my musical heritage and my years invested towards promoting Memphis Music but I was starting to hear the beat of a different drummer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home