Thursday, April 06, 2023

Look, up in the sky. It's a bird or a plane.


Last month while visiting Hawaii for my birthday, we rented a car and drove Southbound from Kona to Hilo on Hwy. #11 on the Big Island. As we rounded a curve on the highway....I couldn't believe my very eyes! We were immediately perplexed by what we saw. In the sky and above our head was a giant circular-shaped cloud that was moving and resembled what I thought looked like a monster UFO. Immediately, cars began pulling over to the side of the road as people were getting out of their vehicles and pointing upwards towards the object. Now, I've been taking photos for a long time but this sight was a very first for me. After reviewing my images and careful study, I found this was called a 'Lenticular Cloud.' It is one of the most rarest types of clouds that form in the atmosphere. The National Weather Service offered this esoteric explanation full of scientific jargon saying; "They are associated with waves in the atmosphere that develop when relatively stable, fast-moving air is forced up and over a topographic barrier that is oriented more or less perpendicular to the direction from which the upper-lever is blowing." Huh! I thought the NWS must be tripping. Anyway, the wife says "It looks like a giant stack of golden pancakes floating in the air." So, without having lunch and with my GPS in search, I immediately sought-out the nearest location of a IHOP Restaurant to order some golden brown flapjacks that was smothered in delicious maple syrup. Yum! Got camera?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home